Thursday, May 23, 2013

Set Up Your Facebook Writer's Page!

A couple years ago I knew I had to set up a Facebook writer's page sometime, but I did not expect to do it so soon.  Then I needed to give a website address with my bio for the Yule Anthology from Pagan Writer's Press.  They accepted two of my pieces: Winter Solstice Story (a song poem about Persephone and Demeter) and The Spirit of the GiveAway, an essay about the Native American custom of the GiveAway Blanket and how we used it at the Web.  I could only offer one link.  I have two blogs, Books and Ideas on writing and Anemone's Assays on paganism in the 21st century.  What to choose what to choose?

Coming soon, available for pre order now
on Amazon
I opted to set up a FaceBook Writer's Page under my own name Dorothy L. Abrams   and put the blog titles in my bio.  Those can be Googled.  Or Binged.  Or Yahooed.  A writer's page was quicker and easier than setting up a whole website which remained on my to do list until 2013 as I anticipated appearing in three anthologies and having Identity and the Quartered Circle released in June. As I said to Eric today, that's pretty good for the first year.  Overnight success.  We laughed because we know how many years have gone into this writing thing.

Once I decided on a Facebook Writer's Page, I had to decide what to put on it.  A simple start was to post some poem I never expect to publish. I selected a few haikus and a birthday poem I wrote for Eric a few years ago.  Then I started posting snips about my writing process.  Bingo!  Suddenly I know what I am doing.  What a relief! That was a short learning curve.  Posts on the page are linked to Twitter so they automatically appear there.

Order this now from major book sellers
A word to the wise, remember that Twitter bird is copying everything you write, without the images and context, so try to be lucid. I also cross post the links for my blogs so my Facebook and Twitter connections know what is interesting to read. 

After I had my page up and running, I realized people can click on my name and "like" me.  Sounds so 5th grade doesn't it?  Yet this is the process.  If you are ready to post your writerly world in public on Facebook, go "create a page"  currently hidden in the small print at the bottom of your home page.  Click and follow the directions.  It is literally that simple.

Remember if you are just starting to promote yourself and your work, use your writer name and set up a page.  Don't be shy. The trolls won't eat you.  With any luck your public will find you and your books. 

Happy self-promotion, my lovelies.



Coming later in 2013. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment