Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Words at Play: Eric's Birthday Poem



Today is my partner Eric Reynold's birthday. The picture is of him in his Medieval garb from the Web Annual Dinner last November. I usually write a poem for him on his birthday.  After 29 years being original is a challenge. No moon in June, nor red roses and blue violets will do.

One thing we share, one among many, is a love for words, definition, subtle meaning, and tricks in words.  I could not find an inspiration until I complained to my spirit muse Mannan last night who then gave me these ideas in dream.  I re-wrote and edited them this afternoon, but this is essentially what I/we wrote last night.  I did wake up and make notes.  My memory is not that good! 

So Happy Birthday Eric!


Words at Play 

I am at peace with you.
My heart winds around you.
Another 20, 30 years at most
Who counts them?
Less? Perhaps. Enough?
We’ve learned to
Want less
Seek less
Strive less… 

And are more for it:
Armor
Amour
Ah! More… 

On moors
We loved to watch wild donkeys
On fells the sheep
On downs the horses—real
And made in chalk.
But I digress with happy memories. 

We go and come back
Healed
Hardier
Heartier
Moor peaceful
Just us two,
Too filled
To know
Just us.
Justice,  peace.
The two of us are settled
Because no justice, no peace
No peace, no justice.
We will both,
Love beyond all that.

Dorothy Abrams 2/13/13

2 comments: